Wednesday, May 23, 2012

GO YANKEES!!!


In my last post I mentioned how I auditioned singers to perform the National Anthem or God Bless America for the Staten Island Yankees. I was excited when I was able to audition the singers. It was something that I had never done before and it was fun to be on the opposite side of the table for once. The audition process was straight up America Idol style!! I think my two bosses and I took up some of the roles of judges from the show (I was definitely Paula.) There were people ranging from 5 years old to 65 years old trying out. Most of the people sang, some played instruments such as the piano and trumpet. It was really cool to hear the National Anthem done on instruments.

I am not a singer by any means, so who is to say that I would be a good judge for this. Turns out I am a better judge than I thought. After 4 hours, we auditioned about 50 people. We heard great singers and not so great singers, but I give everyone a lot of credit for getting up in front of a table of three people staring at you from 4 feet away!! To be quite honest, I think I was more nervous than the performers. Being a dancer, I have done some auditions before and it is completely frightening having a bunch of people stare at you while you are performing.  But, I also compete in dance competitions and it’s kind of the same thing. In dance competition you have to bring it to the floor or it’s all over. I tried to put it in perspective, you have to bring it ALWAYS; whether it is an audition, competition or practice or no one will believe and enjoy your piece. I tried to tell the performers to smile, look up, or stand straighter (hence why I felt like Paula). The better you feel the better you will perform, the better we will enjoy your performance.

Overall, it was a great experience for me, I feel like I learned from it. I’m excited to hear and see the performers this season! GO YANKEES!!

~~STEPHANIE

No comments:

Post a Comment